Disc Openers– Cane Opener
An Exceptional Zero-Till Opener
The Daybreak Cane Opener is the big brother to our standard single disc, the Daybreak Disc Opener. It is basically a ‘scaled up’ unit with the enhanced features especially the ability to handle large amounts of fresh residue. This unit has the same advantages over the competition as the Daybreak Disc Opener. These include:
- Low disturbance
- Superior penetration
- Wet soil capability
- Heavy residue handling
Motivation for design was to create a planter that would cater specifically for the needs of the zero-till cane farmer. Several factors influenced design. These include:
- Application of large quantities of organic fertilizer
- Ability to plant return crops into large amounts of freshly cut, undisturbed sugar cane residue.
Partnering the Daybreak Disc Opener it is the only opener that uses the gauge wheel to close the slot. The press wheel takes no major part in returning the soil to the slot. The press wheel’s job is merely to ‘pat down’ the already returned soil and assist in slot closure.
- The gauge wheel returns the soil to the slot without inversion, resulting in the best possible seed to moist soil contact, without mixing of dry topsoil.
- A result of this is excellent seed placement without excess down pressure, soil disturbance, moisture loss and smearing common to single disc openers. For this reason the Daybreak Disc Opener is a very fine applicator of Anhydrous Ammonia.
The Daybreak double shooting system allows distinct separation of levels of seed and fertilizer. Seed or fertilizer can accurately be positioned mm’s from the surface at normal operating speeds.
- Seed or fertilizer distributed by the double shoot tube is caught at the required level by the wave of returning soil. This level can be infinitely adjusted by the height and angle of the double shoot tube.
- Consistent planting is achieved by preventing loose soil from disrupting the seed by a patented rotary shield disc. This disc can also be used to remove loose top soil when deep sowing.
This Daybreak Opener is very heavily constructed. It was designed specifically to have low maintenance in rough planting conditions.
- All the pivots are quality name tapered roller bearings or greaseable oil filled high-impact nylon bushes.
- The disc hub is bolted into the backbone of the unit.
- All tapered roller bearings are standard automotive sizes available from local stockists.
- Designed to last!
The Daybreak is very easy to adjust. Ease of adjustment and maintenance were key factors incorporated during the design and testing period of the disc opener. A few of the many features resulting from this include:
- All pivots and axles are tapered roller bearings or oil filled high-impact nylon bushes.
- Bolts, bearings and seals are standard automotive or agricultural sizes available from local stockists
- Main down pressure, seeding depth, press wheel down pressure can all be adjusted without tools.